Let’s say your organization just received a gift, about $2 million in unrestricted funds.
Your first thoughts might include:
- How can we best use this?
- We must thank the donor appropriately.
You produce a beautiful piece detailing the donor’s generosity and proudly publish it to the world.
Then something unexpected happens. Your other donors, unable to give such a large gift, stop giving altogether. Panic sets in.
Your Next Steps
Social media can be your saving grace to prevent this kind of situation.
Take these proactive steps:
- Identify the gift and then the donor
- Link to the donor if they are on social media
- Inform your audience how the gift will be used
- Remind your audience of all the other needs that still need to be filled
- Include a way for “small donations” to be combined into something larger using a crowdsourcing site, similar to Kickstarter.
Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much. — Helen Keller